To date, the surgical method is the only way to remove your spectacles permanently. As we have seen, extended usage of powered glasses or contact lenses can not improve your eyesight. The surgery includes various procedures that can help you remove spectacles permanently. These surgical methods can enable clear vision and correct refractive errors in the eye, removing the need for glasses or contact lenses. A defect in the shape of the eye that hinders light from correctly focusing on the retina is referred to as a refractive error. These procedures are discussed in detail below-:
LASIK Eye Surgery
It is the most popular method to correct your refractive errors. LASIK stands for Laser-assisted In situ Keratomileusis, commonly known as Laser Light treatment. This eye surgery is optimum for people with myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. This technology helps to improve all such kinds of refractive errors. The surgery provides a long-term benefit with minimal risk of side effects. The vision of LASIK-operated eyes is evident. Anyone who fulfils the eligibility criteria of the surgery can opt for it.
The prerequisites to undergo surgery in India are as follows-:
- The health of the eyes-: The person should not have these issues- cataracts, glaucoma, lid disorders, ocular infections, keratitis, etc.
- The health of the person-: The primary role after the surgery is played by the person’s immune system. If they are going through any disease or health complications, then the person is not eligible for the treatment. Examples of destructive health issues are- hypertension, diabetes, heart problems that require you to opt for a pacemaker, or any vascular problem. These conditions make you unfit for the surgery.
- Stability of your vision-: If the power of your spectacles or contact lenses varies a lot. Then, this may be a matter of concern for you as people with unstable vision cannot opt for LASIK surgery.
- Hormonal Changes-: If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding mother, going for LASIK would do more harm than good. Drastic hormonal alterations during this phase make your vision unstable. That is why proper measurement cannot be performed.
SMILE- Eye Surgery
People with a higher degree of myopic eyes generally undergo this Smile Surgery. SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. A unique method for keyhole laser eye surgery is called SMILE. This surgery does not involve any blade use. That is why it is less invasive in comparison to other Laser treatments. The surgery has fewer complications as it does not include flap folding or cutting. As a result of the surgery, you may feel more comfortable after this 15- 20 minutes laser light treatment. It is interesting to know that the recovery period of Smile surgery is comparatively short. Unlike LASEK surgery, no bandage lenses are usually required in this surgery. But as a precaution, surgeons may recommend that you should wear them at least overnight.
Within the first several hours after SMILE eye surgery, eyesight often improves by 80%. The eligibility criteria for SMILE eye surgery treatment are as follows-:
- Contact lenses are intolerable to you.
- It would be best if you had a mild to moderate level of dry eyes.
- Your cornea is thinner than average.
SMILE – eye surgery may be an excellent option if you have been informed you are not a candidate for another kind of laser eye surgery. To check your eligibility for this surgery, you need to have an appointment with the doctor.
ICL stands for Implantable Collamer Lens. This type of surgery requires a permanent artificial lens implant in the eyes. ICL Surgical treatment includes the patient with Nearsightedness, Long Sightedness, and Astigmatism. Doctors in this surgery procedure put the artificial lens between the eye’s natural lens and your colored iris. The lens comprises plastic and a special kind of collagen known as Collamer.
ICL surgery is not for every person. But those who are not eligible for LASIK can undergo this surgery. This surgery may reduce their dependence on glasses or contact lenses. The recovery in this surgery is comparatively faster and provides you with excellent night vision.
PRK Laser Eye Treatment
PRK – Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) is a type of Laser treatment used to correct refractive errors. But it does not include the cutting of corneal flaps. Under the name of PRK, your ophthalmologist carefully changes the shape of the cornea. Mainly, it reduces the need for glasses, but in some cases, after the completion of the surgery, you do not need the spectacles at all. Several people with thin corneas choose PRK.
This would be the best option for those who already have some lenses implanted in the eyes during cataract surgery. Also, because of the cataract, they cannot go for LASIK. Here, PRK comes to their rescue. The essential requirement of PRK are as follows-:
- For surgery, your age should be above 21 years. Because at this age, your vision will not change.
- The overall health of the eye should be good. The cornea should be in a healthy position.
- Your prescription for glasses should not have altered in the last year.
- You must set realistic goals for what PRK can and cannot do for you.
RLE Eye Treatment
RLE stands for Refractive Lens Exchange. It is annoying to have blurry vision, and wearing contact lenses or eyeglasses can be troublesome. But thanks to the advancement of technology, that can give clear ideas to people with weak eyesight.
People who have been told they can not opt for LASIK or PRK can be good candidates for RLE surgery treatment. In this process of surgery, the tissue of the cornea remains untouched. Instead, doctors remove the natural lens placed behind the eyes’ iris. A biocompatible artificial lens replaces this lens. PRK lens is a customized lens per the patient’s refractive error needs.
The result of the RLE is very stable. People with a higher degree of refractive error (also not eligible for LASIK) can choose RLE. Before opting for any surgery, consult your doctor first.